Tuesday, December 10, 2013

A Country We Call Home

The past year was exciting for my parents and brother. They became naturalized U.S citizens! After living in the United States for over 20 years, my family decided it was time to show our loyalty to this country we call home. It was not an easy journey for my family. We came, not knowing the language and culture. The only person we knew was my grandfather. My father made this decision because he wanted a better future for my siblings and I. He didn't think we received the same type of education and opportunities in our home country. His ultimate goal was for his children to become successful in whatever we decided to do. 
We have many of these stories come through our citizenship classes. Most of our students are adult learners. Like my mother, they came to the United States not knowing the culture and the language. Even though they didn't know English, it didn't stop them from pursuing their American dream.
On the first day of class I always ask my students why they want to become U.S citizens. The two common answers I get are “better opportunities” and “freedom”. Our students either came to the United States on their own or as refugees fleeing for their lives. Their stories differ, but they share one thing in common; they came to a new country not knowing the culture or the language. Without knowing the language, they made Indiana their new home.
Coordinating the citizenship classes has been a rewarding job. Over the period of 10 weeks, I've seen students not only improve their English, but also boost their confidence. Many students confessed the most they had spoken English was during the citizenship classes. Many were soft-spoken and it seemed like they were embarrassed to speak English, because they were scared the other students would criticize them. Once they realized our classes were a safe and comfortable environment for them to speak English, that fear went out the window.
The day of their naturalization ceremony is an exciting and emotional day for the students and their families. These ceremonies reward new citizens for all their hard work and dedication. I am also a naturalized citizen, and I know the feeling of receiving that certificate. My heart wanted to burst with excitement knowing I could now vote and contribute to the place that had been my home for the past 20 years!
We want citizenship classes to continue to grow and expand. These classes wouldn't be possible without our volunteers. Please consider becoming an instructor or tutor for our citizenship classes. It’s a rewarding experience when you see the students proudly holding up their U.S flags and naturalization certificates!



*Rebeca has been the Citizen Education Coordinator with Refugee and Immigrant Services since September 2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment